The hôtel de Suhard

Bellême was the capital of the province of the Perche until the French Revolution in 1789.

In the early 1600s’ the town was populated by the nobility, royal officers and fabric merchants, who built their town houses along Saint Michel Street (now renamed Alençon Street). The Hôtel de Suhard is one of those town houses.

The oldest title deed for the Hotel dates back to 1621. The evolution of the town house and its occupants is documented in the heritage records dating from 1621, 1731, 1853 and 1889.

Women always played a decisive role in the transformation of their homes. It was often through them that properties changed hands. Madame Claire de Suhard and her daughter lived there from 1757 to 1849. The Hotel was named in their honor.


Extrait de l’atlas de Trudaine Plan de la ville de Bellême, J.R. Perronet 1744-1747 AN F 14 8452 folio 22